Saturday, January 1, 2011

Busy Cooking: World's Best Waffles


As I've said before, when you live away from home, sometimes you have to be resourceful to find the foods that you enjoy or even learn how to make them.  One thing that Japan is totally lacking is a place to go out for a typical breakfast.  Sometimes you can find toast or a dropped egg, maybe even a pancake or waffle, but it's not the same and it's not all in the same place on the same menu.  I LOVE to go out for breakfast, especially to a place that I know make a good waffle.  I know I posted about these really good buttermilk waffles before, but these "most delicious waffles" have captured my heart.

My mom sent me a food network magazine around Halloween and I started searching their site and was intrigued by this recipe, Waffles of Insane Greatness.  I've made them at least four times in the last month.  They are the closest to a restaurant waffle I have made.  They stay crispy after they come out of the waffle iron- many times other waffles I have made get soggy and the recipe recommends to warm them in an oven until serving- not these!

Here's the recipe, the amounts mentioned here are doubled from the Food Network's recipe, a single batch just doesn't cut it for our family:

1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
1 cup milk ( I used low-fat, recipe called for whole)
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2/3 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

In medium sized bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.  Set aside.

In another mixing bowl (preferably with a pouring spout), mix together milk, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.  Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ones, mix until incorporated, may be lumpy, that's okay.  Let sit for 30 minutes before cooking.  Cook in preheated waffle iron.  This made us 7 large belgian sized waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment